List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:March 19 2009 3:54pm
Subject:Re: Performance Spamassin PostgreSQL vs MySQL
View as plain text
At 02:53 PM 3/18/2009, you wrote:
>We are using the PostgreSQL currently to store the Bayes information.  It
>seems to periodically spend a lot of time 'vacumming' which of course
>drives up disk load.  The system admin has adjusted it so it only does
>this at low load.  I'm curious if anyone has actually tested the
>PostgreSQL vs MySQL versions.  We are currently running a uniprocessor
>system (Linux version 2.6.18-6-vserver-amd64 (Debian 2.6.18.dfsg.1-24).
>
>System appears disk limited, we have the files on hardware raid 0 and have
>moved nearly everything else off that set (they are the fastest drives).
>
>Just curious.  Thanks.
>
>Bill Mussatto
>CyberStrategies, Inc.
>www.csz.com

When the db is not vacuuming,  how is the speed? PostgreSQL is far superior
to MySQL for multi-processor CPU's. But if you are sure the CPU level is
low, then adding more CPU's is not going to help. When you say you are
storing Bayes information, are you referring to Bayes' theorem so you are
storing mostly numbers (Doubles?)?

How large are your tables (# of rows, row length & disk space?)

Are the rows being deleted or updated repeatedly? If not, then why do you
need vacuuming?

Mike

Thread
Performance Spamassin PostgreSQL vs MySQLWm Mussatto18 Mar
  • Re: Performance Spamassin PostgreSQL vs MySQLmos19 Mar
  • RE: Performance Spamassin PostgreSQL vs MySQLMiles Thompson20 Mar