List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jules Bean Date:April 21 1999 10:03am
Subject:Re: Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs Sun
View as plain text
On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Michael Griffith wrote:

> I plan to buy new equipment to operate a web site that relies very heavily
> on a mySQL database. I have been unable to find any definitive answer on
> what hardware would perform best.
>
> I first thought to use FreeBSD or Linux, but now I'm told a Sun Ultra
> running Solaris can do the work of several Pentium II based linux machines.
> Yet many of the posts here seem to indicate than A Pentium system will do
> more, faster for less money. Is the primary issue with disk I/O? or is a
> server good at DB, not necessarily also good at web server performance?
>
> 1) All hardware being equal, will mySQL perform better under Solaris, Linux,
> or FreeBSD?
>
> 2) Same OS, will mySQL perform better on Intel or Sun hardware? I realize
> that's a tough comparison without taking price performance into
> consideration.

Same OS, it is true that Sun hardware is better hardware.  However.. the
price/performance just doesn't compare.  Unless you can get a really,
really good price on an Ultra, your going to do much better with, for
example, AMD K6-IIs on a decent motherboard with plenty of memory and a
SCSI card (or, to be honest, just fast IDE disks).

It is going to depend what your looking for - for example, with an Ultra,
if you're not careful, you're going to waste about 500-1000 on a stupid
video card you don't want anyway..

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@stripped         |  6 Evelyn Rd	       |
|  Jules aka     | jules@stripped              |  Richmond, Surrey   |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@stripped        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |

Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunMichael Griffith21 Apr
  • Re: Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunJules Bean21 Apr
  • Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunMichael Widenius22 Apr
Re: Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunKelly Yancey22 Apr