List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:BobSharp Date:March 17 2009 4:42pm
Subject:Negated SELECT query
View as plain text
3 tables are related by one-many links.
Employees  ---<-  Assets  ---<-  Maintenance

Employees can be assigned  => 0   Assets
Assets can have  => 0  occurances of  Maintenance.

Assets table contains  EmployeeIDs  and  MaintenanceIDs,
but no Foreign Key contraints.

Queries ...
1)  which Employees do not have any  Assets ?
2)  which  Assets  have not had any  Maintenance ?
These have been written successfully with Sub-Queries,

I would like to know how they can be done with only JOINs  ?
(that also means  without the EXCEPT statement)
Is that too much of a challenge ?      (MySQL  5.0.67)

Negated SELECT queryBobSharp17 Mar
  • Re: Negated SELECT queryPerrin Harkins17 Mar
  • RE: Negated SELECT queryJohn Bonnett17 Mar
  • Re: Negated SELECT queryBobSharp18 Mar