List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris W Date:March 15 2009 12:38am
Subject:Re: Fwd: avoiding use of Nulls
View as plain text
Arthur Fuller wrote:
>  Exactly the point. Michael, NULL *is* information. It means "unknown" and
> that is in itself useful information. A common example:
>
> A new employee is hired but which department she will work in is unknown. So
> the data entry person enters all the known information and leaves the rest
> until it has been clarified.

In this case, you could have a table to link the employee to
department.  If you didn't know what department an employee was going to
be in, there would be no record in that table.  However I agree with
Mike, why are you hiring someone if you don't know what they are going
to be doing.  Also having the separate table to link employees and
departments allows for a many to many relationship, so an employee can
work in more than one department.  I'll leave the discussion for how bad
an idea that is for another list :)

Chris W
Thread
Fwd: avoiding use of NullsArthur Fuller14 Mar
  • Re: Fwd: avoiding use of Nullsmichael14 Mar
    • Re: Fwd: avoiding use of NullsJohan De Meersman15 Mar
  • Re: Fwd: avoiding use of NullsChris W15 Mar