List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Griffith Date:April 21 1999 9:56am
Subject:Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs Sun
View as plain text
I plan to buy new equipment to operate a web site that relies very heavily
on a mySQL database. I have been unable to find any definitive answer on
what hardware would perform best.

I first thought to use FreeBSD or Linux, but now I'm told a Sun Ultra
running Solaris can do the work of several Pentium II based linux machines.
Yet many of the posts here seem to indicate than A Pentium system will do
more, faster for less money. Is the primary issue with disk I/O? or is a
server good at DB, not necessarily also good at web server performance?

1) All hardware being equal, will mySQL perform better under Solaris, Linux,
or FreeBSD?

2) Same OS, will mySQL perform better on Intel or Sun hardware? I realize
that's a tough comparison without taking price performance into
consideration.

3) Can anyone point to some credible sources that compare web server/ DB
server performance?

Thread
Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunMichael Griffith21 Apr
  • Re: Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunJules Bean21 Apr
  • Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunMichael Widenius22 Apr
Re: Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunKelly Yancey22 Apr