List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jenny Chen Date:March 12 2009 2:17pm
Subject:quick question on mysql memory usage
View as plain text
Hi,

My understanding is that the memory utilization of mysql can be calculated
roughly using the formula like:
(All global memory related server variables + max_connections * session
memory related server variables)
As I noticed that most global variables like key_buffer_size,
innodb_buffer_szie will not return back the memory to OS since they are
using (mt)malloc/free, My question is: will mysql return the memory to the
OS after closing some connections? Such as, when one connection executing a
query which located sort buffer, and created tempory table, after complete
the query or close the query, will the memory used by this query release to
OS?
Thanks in advance for your info.

Regards,
jenny

Thread
quick question on mysql memory usageJenny Chen12 Mar