List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:March 10 2009 10:04pm
Subject:Re: using a subquery/self-join to recursively retrieve a tree
View as plain text
>How can I do some recursion to get the UIDs of all the employees
>reporting up to a manager, regardless of how deep the tree is. I can
>do this usindg LDAP and/or PHP, but not sure how to do it as a mysql
>query.

Examples & discussion at
http://www.artfulsoftware.com/mysqlbook/sampler/mysqled1ch20.html

PB

-----

Ali, Saqib wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have following simplistic DB representing a hierarchy:
>
> +------------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
> | Field      | Type     | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
> +------------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
> | uid        | int(10)  | NO   | PRI | 0       |       |
> | name       | char(80) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
> | mail       | char(80) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
> | manageruid | int(10)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
> +------------+----------+------+-----+---------+-------+
>
> How can I do some recursion to get the UIDs of all the employees
> reporting up to a manager, regardless of how deep the tree is. I can
> do this usindg LDAP and/or PHP, but not sure how to do it as a mysql
> query.
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks
>
> saqib
> http://www.capital-punishment.us

using a subquery/self-join to recursively retrieve a treeSaqib Ali10 Mar
  • Re: using a subquery/self-join to recursively retrieve a treePeter Brawley10 Mar
  • Re: using a subquery/self-join to recursively retrieve a treeClaudio Nanni11 Mar