List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andy Shellam Date:March 9 2009 7:13pm
Subject:Re: Upgrading
View as plain text
Hi Mat,

How many databases have you got running on 4.0?  You can certainly go
through the motions of downloading each interim release, however my best
advice would be (if time/disk space permits) to dump your databases to
plain SQL files (using mysqldump) obliterate your 4.0 install, install a
fresh copy of 5.1 and restore your database dumps.

If your databases are hefty (I'd say above 1GB) you may need to go for
an upgrade, in which case I think you need to go to 4.1 before 5.0 if
memory serves me correctly.

Of course, depending on your setup, you could install a fresh copy of
5.1 and run it alongside 4.0 (ie on different port numbers) then you can
migrate your databases/systems across one-by-one.

Andy

Matthew Stuart wrote:
> Hi all, I am on... wait for it... version 4.0.25 and I want to upgrade
> to MySQL 5.x
>
> Is there anything special I should do in order to upgrade? Do I need
> to uninstall v4 or can I just download the most current version and
> double click to upgrade? I am not particularly hardcore mysql minded,
> and quite honestly, if it ain't broke don't fix it is a good mantra of
> mine... but I need to move on now as I have received an sql file that
> is v5 compatible but not v4 compatible.
>
> Once I have it up and running I'll be fine, it's just that I am
> nervous about upgrading and consequently breaking it, and at that
> point, I'll be struggling to put it right.
>
> Any advice on how I can best do this / best practices etc will be very
> much appreciated.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Mat

Thread