List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:March 9 2009 2:56am
Subject:Re: help with fulltext search
View as plain text
Stefan,

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Stefan Onken <support@stripped> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am bit puzzled about combining mysql fulltext search into our
> current search:
>
> I am not able to combine a fulltext search with other selections,
> please see http://pastebin.com/m23622c39 for full details. The
> moment I am using "...where a=2 OR match (bla) AGAINST ('foo') mysql
> is not using the index... WHY ?

This is happening because MySQL can't use two indexes, and neither
index can satisfy all the criteria.  In some cases MySQL can use more
than one index for a query, but not when one of them is fulltext and
one is a B-Tree index.

You should be able to get the results you want with UNION.  Write one
query that gets what you want from the full-text index, then another
that gets the things that can be found without it, then UNION them
together.
Thread
help with fulltext searchStefan Onken8 Mar
  • Re: help with fulltext searchBaron Schwartz9 Mar