List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Karr Date:March 6 2009 10:00pm
Subject:Re: Possible to get better error handling for invalid enum parameter
to stored program?
View as plain text
Thanks.  I thought that was the case, but I wanted to be sure.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Perrin Harkins <perrin@stripped> wrote:

> I'm afraid enums are useless for anything except compressing your
> data, since they don't reject bad values.  If you want to limit a
> field to a set of values, you need to use a lookup table and a foreign
> key constraint.
>
> - Perrin
>
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@stripped>
> wrote:
> > If I define an enum parameter for a stored program, and the calling code
> > sends an invalid value, they get the less than useful "data truncated"
> > error.  Is it possible to define the stored program to produce better
> error
> > handling for that kind of error?
> >
> > This is probably a FAQ, but in general, it appears that error diagnostics
> in
> > stored programs are very primitive. Are there any plans in a roadmap to
> > improve this?

Thread
Possible to get better error handling for invalid enum parameter to stored program?David Karr6 Mar
  • Re: Possible to get better error handling for invalid enum parameter to stored program?Perrin Harkins6 Mar
    • Re: Possible to get better error handling for invalid enum parameter to stored program?David Karr6 Mar
      • Re: Possible to get better error handling for invalid enumparameter to stored program?Steve Edberg8 Mar
Re: Possible to get better error handling for invalid enum parameter to stored program?David Karr8 Mar