List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Perrin Harkins Date:March 6 2009 8:07pm
Subject:Re: Possible to get better error handling for invalid enum parameter
to stored program?
View as plain text
I'm afraid enums are useless for anything except compressing your
data, since they don't reject bad values.  If you want to limit a
field to a set of values, you need to use a lookup table and a foreign
key constraint.

- Perrin

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@stripped> wrote:
> If I define an enum parameter for a stored program, and the calling code
> sends an invalid value, they get the less than useful "data truncated"
> error.  Is it possible to define the stored program to produce better error
> handling for that kind of error?
>
> This is probably a FAQ, but in general, it appears that error diagnostics in
> stored programs are very primitive. Are there any plans in a roadmap to
> improve this?

Thread
Possible to get better error handling for invalid enum parameter to stored program?David Karr6 Mar
  • Re: Possible to get better error handling for invalid enum parameter to stored program?Perrin Harkins6 Mar
    • Re: Possible to get better error handling for invalid enum parameter to stored program?David Karr6 Mar
      • Re: Possible to get better error handling for invalid enumparameter to stored program?Steve Edberg8 Mar
Re: Possible to get better error handling for invalid enum parameter to stored program?David Karr8 Mar