List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Stephen Edberg Date:March 5 2009 5:30pm
Subject:RE: best mysql optimization tutorial and/or quick start guide?
View as plain text
> I've been poking around google looking for tutorials and/or quick start
> guides on optimizing the mysql server. We just upgraded our DB server from
> 2
> Gb of RAM to 16. But I don't know how to reconfigure mysql to take full
> advantage of it. Although, just installing the RAM seems to have made a
> huge
> difference.
>
> Any suggestions for a really good tutorial on configuring the server based
>
> on the amount of RAM, etc?

Hard to give details on performance optimization without knowing more about
the details for your load, but there are a number of cache-related
parameters (query cache, key cache and so on) that could be increased to
take optimum advantage of the additional RAM.

Take a look at

     http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/

The name is pretty self-explanatory, and there's a lot of useful info there
on mysql tuning. They are the authors of 'High Performance MySQL' -

     http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101718/index.html

- which I've heard good things about (don't have it myself, plan to buy).
Also see

     http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/optimization.html

(assuming you use 5.0; substitute appropriate version if otherwise).

     - steve edberg

Thread
best mysql optimization tutorial and/or quick start guide?John G. Heim5 Mar
  • Re: best mysql optimization tutorial and/or quick start guide?Walter Heck5 Mar
RE: best mysql optimization tutorial and/or quick start guide?Stephen Edberg5 Mar
  • Re: best mysql optimization tutorial and/or quick start guide?Darryle Steplight5 Mar
  • Re: best mysql optimization tutorial and/or quick start guide?John G. Heim16 Mar
    • Re: best mysql optimization tutorial and/or quick start guide?David M. Karr16 Mar