List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:March 4 2009 6:28pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Log and Data directories
View as plain text
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:22 PM,  <dbrb2002-sql@stripped> wrote:
> On a high read/write load.. is it good to split log (binlogs, innodb txn logs) and
> data (all tables, innodb tablespace) in different partitions ?
>
> Anybody had any experience ?
>
> For example; out of 25 disks array with 142GB 10000rpm... I would like to keep few
> disks to logs and rest to data .. is it advised or better to keep everything in spool so
> that all spindles can be efficiently managed...
>
> Thanks in advance

You most certainly can get enhanced performance by putting your bin
log and transaction logs onto  separate spindles..  Separate
partitions on the same physical device will be of little-to-no-value.
For systems like Oracle or DB2, this is part of the standard
installation drill.  ON MySQL, I do not do this routinely, but I do
when I am expecting high, sustained loads,

--
 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

 - All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.
Thread
MySQL Log and Data directoriesdbrb2002-sql4 Mar
  • Re: MySQL Log and Data directoriesMichael Dykman4 Mar
    • Re: MySQL Log and Data directoriesChaim Rieger4 Mar
  • Re: MySQL Log and Data directoriesBaron Schwartz4 Mar
Re: MySQL Log and Data directoriesdbrb2002-sql4 Mar
Re: MySQL Log and Data directoriesdbrb2002-sql7 Mar
  • Re: MySQL Log and Data directoriesBaron Schwartz7 Mar