List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brent Baisley Date:March 1 2009 9:55pm
Subject:Re: MyISAM large tables and indexes managing problems
View as plain text
Be careful with using InnoDB with large tables. Performance drops
quickly and quite a bit once the size exceeds your RAM capabilities.

On Mar 1, 2009, at 3:41 PM, Claudio Nanni wrote:

> Hi Baron,
> I need to try some trick like that, a sort of offline index building.
> Luckily I have a slave on that is basically a backup server.
> Tomorrow I am going to play more with the dude.
> Do you think that there would be any improvement in converting the
> table to InnoDB
> forcing to use multiple files as tablespace?
>
> Thanks
> Claudio
> Baron Schwartz wrote:
>> Claudio,
>>

> http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2007/10/29/hacking-to-make-alter-table-online-for-certain-changes/
>>
>> Your mileage may vary, use at your own risk, etc.
>>
>> Basically: convince MySQL that the indexes have already been built
>> but
>> need to be repaired, then run REPAIR TABLE.  As long as the index is
>> non-unique, this can be done by sort.  In your case, the index
>> (PRIMARY) is unique, so you'll need to see if you can work around
>> that
>> somehow.  Maybe you can create it under another name as non-unique,
>> build it, then swap it and the .frm file out.  Have fun.
>>
>> This is the only option I see for you, but maybe there are others.

Thread
MyISAM large tables and indexes managing problemsClaudio Nanni27 Feb
  • RE: MyISAM large tables and indexes managing problemsRolando Edwards27 Feb
    • Re: MyISAM large tables and indexes managing problemsClaudio Nanni28 Feb
Re: MyISAM large tables and indexes managing problemsClaudio Nanni27 Feb
Re: MyISAM large tables and indexes managing problemsClaudio Nanni28 Feb
  • Re: MyISAM large tables and indexes managing problemsBaron Schwartz1 Mar
    • Re: MyISAM large tables and indexes managing problemsClaudio Nanni1 Mar
      • Re: MyISAM large tables and indexes managing problemsBrent Baisley1 Mar