List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:buford Date:February 25 2009 3:35am
Subject:Concurrent Inserts with merged table
View as plain text
I'm working on a system that uses merged tables with insert method LAST,
and occasionally the application runs a LOAD DATA INFILE with a pretty big
input data set. During the load data, other users running selects are
blocked.

As it stands at this time, some of the constituent merged tables in the
merge set have deleted rows (i.e., "holes").

I read in the documentation
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/concurrent-inserts.html) that
concurrent selects are permitted during a LOAD DATA INFILE if the free
space is first defragmented, but it doesn't specifically address the
situation of merged tables.

Provided I have run OPTIMIZE TABLES, should I expect a multi-user
application to successfully perform concurrent selects while the lengthy
load data statement is running?

And furthermore, assuming one or more of the constituent tables has free
space (i.e., "holes"), do I need to run OPTIMIZE TABLES on each
constituent file of the merge set separately, or do I run it on the
defined merge table?

Thread
Concurrent Inserts with merged tablebuford25 Feb
  • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tableJohan De Meersman25 Feb
    • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tablebuford26 Feb
      • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tablemos26 Feb
        • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tablebuford28 Feb
        • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tablebuford6 Mar
          • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tableBaron Schwartz6 Mar
            • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tablemos6 Mar
            • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tablebuford7 Mar
              • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tableBaron Schwartz7 Mar
                • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tablebuford7 Mar
                • Re: Concurrent Inserts with merged tablebuford11 Mar