List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:February 23 2009 3:27pm
Subject:RE: book categories
View as plain text

[JS] We do this all of the time, and it isn't that difficult. You don't want
to use any form of CONCAT. What you want to do is SELECT all of your
categories in one fell swoop, and then loop through them to create your
dropdown. Here's a simple example, directly from our code. This would be
inside a form. (I apologize for the line-wrapping.)

===========================

      Account:<br>
      <select name="account_id" style="width: 50px;" tabindex="23">
<!--
      First, we enter a null value as the first option available in the
pulldown

 -->
 			<option value=""></option>
<?php

	//	Now we pull all of the accounts from the account table

	$query = "SELECT * FROM account ORDER BY account_name;";

	//	Execute the query or die trying

	$result = mysql_query($query) or die ("Unable to execute
$query:<br/>" . mysql_error());

	//	Loop as long as we have records

	while($row_tmp = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
?>
<!--
  	The value of the account_id option is set to the account_id, but the
displayed information
  	is the corresponding real_name

 -->
 		<option value="<?= $row_tmp["account_id"] ?>"
 				<?= $new ? "" : (($row_tmp["account_id"] ==
$row["account_id"])
			? " selected=\"selected\"" : "") ?>><?=
$row_tmp["real_name"] ?>
 		</option>
<?php
	} // end while
?>
      </select>

=======================================

All it really does is loop through the results of the SELECT statement, and
spit out an <option...> for each record.

>--
>
>Phil Jourdan --- pj@stripped
>   http://www.ptahhotep.com
>   http://www.chiccantine.com
>

>--
>infoshop.com

Thread
book categoriesPJ22 Feb
  • Re: book categoriesClaudio Nanni22 Feb
    • Re: book categoriesPJ23 Feb
  • RE: book categoriesJerry Schwartz23 Feb
    • Record IDsHagen Finley23 Feb
      • Re: Record IDsMattia Merzi23 Feb
      • Re: Record IDsBrent Baisley23 Feb
      • RE: Record IDsJerry Schwartz23 Feb