List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Addyman Date:February 10 2009 12:12pm
Subject:Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?
View as plain text
Johan, we considered this approach but concluded it would require too much
re-development (more than just the database layer).

Thanks anyway.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Johan De Meersman <vegivamp@stripped>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Michael Addyman <
> michael.addyman@stripped> wrote:
>

>> I have now thought of having 1 table type per database (i.e. ~30
>> databases).
>> This would be easier and cheaper to manage than hundreds of databases, and
>> would also allow databases to be finely tuned to the table type, size,
>> workload and writes : updates : reads ratio.
>>
>> However, re-developing the database layer to achieve this looks incredibly
>> difficult.
>>

> I didn't quite get that first time round, but I think I do, now.
>
> How about using triggers and views or stored procedures to insert/select
> the username in a field in each table ? Assuming you have a separate user
> per instance, that might solve a lot of problems :-)
>

> --
> Celsius is based on water temperature.
> Fahrenheit is based on alcohol temperature.
> Ergo, Fahrenheit is better than Celsius. QED.

Thread
InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
  • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?mos10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
      • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?mos10 Feb
        • RE: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Martin Gainty10 Feb
          • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
      • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Johan De Meersman10 Feb
        • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
      • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Walter Heck10 Feb
        • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
          • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
            • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Johan De Meersman10 Feb
              • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
  • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Baron Schwartz10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb