List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:February 10 2009 11:47am
Subject:Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?
View as plain text
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Michael Addyman <
michael.addyman@stripped> wrote:

> I have now thought of having 1 table type per database (i.e. ~30
> databases).
> This would be easier and cheaper to manage than hundreds of databases, and
> would also allow databases to be finely tuned to the table type, size,
> workload and writes : updates : reads ratio.
>
> However, re-developing the database layer to achieve this looks incredibly
> difficult.

I didn't quite get that first time round, but I think I do, now.

How about using triggers and views or stored procedures to insert/select the
username in a field in each table ? Assuming you have a separate user per
instance, that might solve a lot of problems :-)

--
Celsius is based on water temperature.
Fahrenheit is based on alcohol temperature.

Thread
InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
  • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?mos10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
      • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?mos10 Feb
        • RE: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Martin Gainty10 Feb
          • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
      • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Johan De Meersman10 Feb
        • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
      • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Walter Heck10 Feb
        • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
          • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
            • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Johan De Meersman10 Feb
              • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
  • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Baron Schwartz10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb