List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:February 10 2009 6:01am
Subject:Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?
View as plain text
At 05:03 PM 2/9/2009, Michael Addyman wrote:
>Dear Geniuses,
>
>I have an application requiring ~30 InnoDB tables, which needs to scale up
>to at least 500 application instances (500 instances * ~30 tables = 15,000
>tables).

Some of the questions people are going to ask are:
How large are each of the 30 tables?  # of rows and physical size?
What's the reason for having 500 separate application instances? Security?
You're using InnoDb because you need transactions? Row locking?
What percentage of the queries will be updates compared to reads?

>Discussions in the archives suggest I would be better off having independent
>databases for each of the application instances (i.e. 500 databases).
>
>However, it seems this would be much more difficult/expensive to
>manage/replicate/cluster than a single large database containing 15,000
>tables.
>
>Storing all the data from all the application instances in ~30 large tables
>is not possible.
>
>Please could you give me your recommendations and experience?

By creating 500 separate instances you are of course creating 500x the
amount of work.

Mike

Thread
InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
  • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?mos10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
      • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?mos10 Feb
        • RE: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Martin Gainty10 Feb
          • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
      • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Johan De Meersman10 Feb
        • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
      • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Walter Heck10 Feb
        • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
          • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
            • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Johan De Meersman10 Feb
              • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb
  • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Baron Schwartz10 Feb
    • Re: InnoDB: Thousands of Tables or Hundreds of Databases?Michael Addyman10 Feb