List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:February 9 2009 1:49pm
Subject:Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQL
View as plain text
>> I don't know what your data or your needs are, but I just thought I'd
>> make you aware of this; MySQL is *not* the answer to a great many
>> problems, regardless of the storage engine.  Use the right tool for
>> the job.
>
> Right. I've used other databases that were faster than MySQL for some
> queries, but they can't load more than a couple million rows because of
> their high index maintenance.
> MyISAM is the only engine I've found that can load a lot of data (50 million
> rows) in just a few minutes and rebuild indexes in no time.  It looks like
> I'll stick with MyISAM.

Of course, if indexing is the major challenge, it could also be that
you'd benefit from something like Tokutek (or Infobright, which
doesn't really have indexes in the traditional sense).  But I don't
know what Tokutek's price is, or if they'd be suitable for your
application.  And then you'd be able to stay within the umbrella of
MySQL, which is a huge advantage.  I guess it all depends how you
value the price-benefit ratio of getting more from your hardware, vs.
proprietary licensing fees, vs. building things your own way.

This has all gone far afield from NitroEDB :-)
Thread
What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLmos8 Feb
  • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLBaron Schwartz8 Feb
    • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLMichael Dykman8 Feb
      • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLmos8 Feb
        • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLMichael Dykman9 Feb
        • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLBaron Schwartz9 Feb
          • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLmos9 Feb
            • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLBaron Schwartz9 Feb