List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:February 9 2009 5:57am
Subject:Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQL
View as plain text
Baron,

At 07:32 PM 2/8/2009, you wrote:
> > 2) Does it have Full-Text search? I need to search on paragraphs of text.
>
>Have you taken a look at Sphinx?

I looked at  Sphinx a couple of years ago and it looked great. I'm glad the
author is still improving it.  I'm a Windows programmer so I'm still
running MySQL 5.1 on XP (I know, I know<g>). Sphinx only supports Windows
on a single thread so I stayed away from it. I've got to move my databases
over to Ubuntu because Sphinx is definitely a must have.

>BTW Andrew Aksyonoff just showed me
>in a Skype chat that he's implemented full aggregate functionality in
>Sphinx, and it now understands a very SQL-ish dialect and speaks the
>MySQL protocol -- so you can literally use the mysql command-line
>client (or your favorite programming language's mysql connector) to
>connect to it and type queries just as you would type SQL.
>
>Sphinx has a lot of powerful functionality that makes it scale on
>really big data sets and take advantage of modern hardware very well.
>Unlike MySQL it can do intra-query parallelization and scaling out to
>multiple machines is transparent. (There is no difference between
>querying one Sphinx index and querying distributed indexes on many
>machines; you just have to set the config file up correctly).

Cool! I'll revisit the Sphinx site.

>I don't know what your data or your needs are, but I just thought I'd
>make you aware of this; MySQL is *not* the answer to a great many
>problems, regardless of the storage engine.  Use the right tool for
>the job.

Right. I've used other databases that were faster than MySQL for some
queries, but they can't load more than a couple million rows because of
their high index maintenance.
MyISAM is the only engine I've found that can load a lot of data (50
million rows) in just a few minutes and rebuild indexes in no time.  It
looks like I'll stick with MyISAM.

Mike

Thread
What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLmos8 Feb
  • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLBaron Schwartz8 Feb
    • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLMichael Dykman8 Feb
      • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLmos8 Feb
        • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLMichael Dykman9 Feb
        • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLBaron Schwartz9 Feb
          • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLmos9 Feb
            • Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQLBaron Schwartz9 Feb