List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:February 9 2009 1:32am
Subject:Re: What ever happened to NitroEDb engine for MySQL
View as plain text
> 2) Does it have Full-Text search? I need to search on paragraphs of text.

Have you taken a look at Sphinx?  BTW Andrew Aksyonoff just showed me
in a Skype chat that he's implemented full aggregate functionality in
Sphinx, and it now understands a very SQL-ish dialect and speaks the
MySQL protocol -- so you can literally use the mysql command-line
client (or your favorite programming language's mysql connector) to
connect to it and type queries just as you would type SQL.

Sphinx has a lot of powerful functionality that makes it scale on
really big data sets and take advantage of modern hardware very well.
Unlike MySQL it can do intra-query parallelization and scaling out to
multiple machines is transparent. (There is no difference between
querying one Sphinx index and querying distributed indexes on many
machines; you just have to set the config file up correctly).

I don't know what your data or your needs are, but I just thought I'd
make you aware of this; MySQL is *not* the answer to a great many
problems, regardless of the storage engine.  Use the right tool for
the job.

--
Baron Schwartz, Director of Consulting, Percona Inc.
Our Blog: http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/