List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:February 8 2009 7:09am
Subject:Re: Solid State Drives and mySQL / RDBMS?
View as plain text
At 04:53 PM 2/6/2009, you wrote:
>While SSD's (Solid State Disks) have traditionally not been the best
>hardware to use for rewrite-intensive operations like databases, over
>the last few months, some leading Linux kernel engineers have been
>raving about next generation Intel SSD's that are close to 20x faster
>than the fastest disk drives for random access.  If robust enough, these
>next generation SSD's may greatly improve relational database
>performance.
>
>Is anyone using SSD drives currently and can share their experiences?
>
>Also, even if they are currently poor for writing, they would make a
>fantastic slave drive for mega-fast access I would think right?
>
>Our current DB is about 80GB and over 1/2 billion rows in each of two of
>the tables. Reports are starting to take as long as 20 seconds to
>generate. ...and don't get me started on export/import (it can take DAYS
>to import).

There are Flash SSD's and DDR SSD's. I assume you mean DDR SSD's.

You may want to try something like HyperDrive and use Raid to increase the
size of the volume. See http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/. It was reviewed
at http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/16255/9. For random access, these
solid state devices are extremely fast. But sequential access they are
slightly faster than the fastest hard drive. These devices are also getting
quite cheap compared to what they cost 5 years ago. I haven't tried it, but
would love to get my hands on a few of these.

Mike

Thread
Solid State Drives and mySQL / RDBMS?Daevid Vincent6 Feb
  • Re: Solid State Drives and mySQL / RDBMS?Jujitsu Lizard8 Feb
  • Re: Solid State Drives and mySQL / RDBMS?mos8 Feb
    • Re: Solid State Drives and mySQL / RDBMS?Johan De Meersman10 Feb