List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jujitsu Lizard Date:February 8 2009 4:03am
Subject:Re: Solid State Drives and mySQL / RDBMS?
View as plain text
On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Daevid Vincent <daevid@stripped> wrote:

> While SSD's (Solid State Disks) have traditionally not been the best
> hardware to use for rewrite-intensive operations like databases, over
> the last few months, some leading Linux kernel engineers have been
> raving about next generation Intel SSD's that are close to 20x faster
> than the fastest disk drives for random access.  If robust enough, these
> next generation SSD's may greatly improve relational database
> performance.

You are confusing me here.  What is an SSD by your definition?  (I'll be on
Wikipedia right after I make this post.)

If you mean a purely RAM-based device, it should work fine with great
performance.

If you mean a FLASH/EEPROM-based device, you might have a RAM front end to
it, but there would be limits to how much data you can change how quickly.

What is your definition of an SSD?

Got a typical manufacturer and model number?

Thread
Solid State Drives and mySQL / RDBMS?Daevid Vincent6 Feb
  • Re: Solid State Drives and mySQL / RDBMS?Jujitsu Lizard8 Feb
  • Re: Solid State Drives and mySQL / RDBMS?mos8 Feb
    • Re: Solid State Drives and mySQL / RDBMS?Johan De Meersman10 Feb