List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Daisley Date:February 5 2009 4:21pm
Subject:Re: Instance scale-out
View as plain text
Andy,

Like I said, I would like to hear what others think and I'd be
particularly interested in some comment from within MySQL.

For the purposes of the exam, which I think the original question related
to, I would say you have to accept mysql's interpretation of 'network
interface' as being a port, socket, pipe etc. Thats what it says in the
study guide and the reference manual and thats what they are going to test
you on.

John

> Quoting John Daisley <john.daisley@stripped>:
>

>> I would say in terms of the MySQL server the interface is either a
>> TCP/IP
>> Port, a Named Pipe, shared memory or a UNIX Socket. Depending on the
>> host
>> operating system it can use any of those interfaces but each instance
>> must
>> have its own interface.
>>

> Just to chip in on this, an "interface" can obviosly mean a lot of
> things depending on the context and I accept the above discription in
> relation to MySQL. However in the text originally referenced the term
> used was "network interface" which I think most Sys/DB admins etc
> would understand to be a network interface in the sense the operating
> system considers it, ie a physical or virtual IP network intreface at
> the OS level.
> With regards the MySQL requirement the original text was discussing, I
> believe it is in reference to a TCP port which will normally be
> sitting on an OS level "network interface" hence I think this is badly
> worded in the text.
>
> thanks Andy.

> This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
> http://www.netintelligence.com/email

Thread
Instance scale-outClaudio Nanni5 Feb
  • Re: Instance scale-outJohn Daisley5 Feb
  • Re: Instance scale-outAndy Smith5 Feb
    • Re: Instance scale-outJohn Daisley5 Feb
      • Re: Instance scale-outClaudio Nanni5 Feb
        • Re: Instance scale-outJohn Daisley5 Feb
          • Re: Instance scale-outAndy Smith5 Feb
            • Re: Instance scale-outJohn Daisley5 Feb
          • Re: Instance scale-outClaudio Nanni5 Feb
            • Re: Instance scale-outBaron Schwartz5 Feb
Re: Instance scale-outClaudio Nanni5 Feb