List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andy Smith Date:February 5 2009 3:33pm
Subject:Re: Instance scale-out
View as plain text
Quoting John Daisley <john.daisley@stripped>:

> I would say in terms of the MySQL server the interface is either a TCP/IP
> Port, a Named Pipe, shared memory or a UNIX Socket. Depending on the host
> operating system it can use any of those interfaces but each instance must
> have its own interface.

Just to chip in on this, an "interface" can obviosly mean a lot of
things depending on the context and I accept the above discription in
relation to MySQL. However in the text originally referenced the term
used was "network interface" which I think most Sys/DB admins etc
would understand to be a network interface in the sense the operating
system considers it, ie a physical or virtual IP network intreface at
the OS level.
With regards the MySQL requirement the original text was discussing, I
believe it is in reference to a TCP port which will normally be
sitting on an OS level "network interface" hence I think this is badly
worded in the text.

thanks Andy.

Instance scale-outClaudio Nanni5 Feb
  • Re: Instance scale-outJohn Daisley5 Feb
  • Re: Instance scale-outAndy Smith5 Feb
    • Re: Instance scale-outJohn Daisley5 Feb
      • Re: Instance scale-outClaudio Nanni5 Feb
        • Re: Instance scale-outJohn Daisley5 Feb
          • Re: Instance scale-outAndy Smith5 Feb
            • Re: Instance scale-outJohn Daisley5 Feb
          • Re: Instance scale-outClaudio Nanni5 Feb
            • Re: Instance scale-outBaron Schwartz5 Feb
Re: Instance scale-outClaudio Nanni5 Feb