List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jason Pruim Date:February 2 2009 6:59pm
Subject:Re: grabbing even addresses?
View as plain text
On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Christoph Boget wrote:

>> I was wondering if something was possible, I have an excel file
>> right now of
>> US mailing addresses, and what I need to do is select all the odd
>> numbered
>> addresses on one road, is there an easy way I can do that from
>> MySQL? the
>> addresses could contain 3, 4 or 5 numbers per addresses such as:
>> 123 Main
>> 1232 Main
>> 1233 Main
>> 1234 Main
>> 12345 Main
>> and what I want out of those would be:
>> 1232 Main
>> 1234 Main
>> Any ideas? Thanks for looking! :)
>
> Well, if this is something you will be doing a lot, the most efficient
> way to store the addresses would be to have separate columns for the
> house number and the street name.  Doing that will allow you to run a
> query as simple as:
>
> SELECT * FROM Addresses WHERE (house_number % 2) == 0;
>
> If you can't (or don't want to) have separate columns, you can use a
> regular expression to pull out the house number then operating on it
> as above.    You can read more about mysql and regular expressions
> here:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/regexp.html

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info, I had thought about splitting it but wanted to
see if there was a better/different way.  Right now this is a one
time thing, but if it works well it's something that could turn into
a regular thing for me to do.

Thanks again!

--
Jason Pruim
japruim@stripped

Thread
grabbing even addresses?Jason Pruim2 Feb
  • Re: grabbing even addresses?ewen fortune2 Feb
  • Re: grabbing even addresses?Christoph Boget2 Feb
    • Re: grabbing even addresses?Jason Pruim2 Feb
  • RE: grabbing even addresses?Tom [Ontario] Kralidis2 Feb
  • RE: grabbing even addresses?Martin Gainty2 Feb
    • Re: grabbing even addresses?Daniel Brown2 Feb
  • RE: grabbing even addresses?Jerry Schwartz2 Feb