List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:January 30 2009 9:45pm
Subject:Re: INNODB and Max Processors
View as plain text

I need to know a lot about your workload to say whether it will work
well on InnoDB with 4+ processors.  You can check for a lot of benchmarks in this
area.  But in general, my opinion is that for most workloads, 4 total
processors (cores included) is reasonable.  Not as good as it could
be, but reasonable.

The only real answer is to benchmark *your* workload and see what
happens.  And if you run into something that's a weak area, change it
-- there are workarounds for many of the trouble spots.

However, note that a single query will only ever run on a single core,
so if latency is your concern, you need fast, not many.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Gary W. Smith <gary@stripped> wrote:
> A few weeks back I was reading an article that said that INNODB doesn't take adantage
> of servers using more than 4 processors.  I think I also recieved this as a reply some
> time ago as to the same thing.
> I was wondering if this is indeed true.  We are using 5.1.30 and wanted to pickup a
> new dual quad core with 32GB.  Before we make the purchase we just want to make sure the
> database will be able to take advantage of it.  Otherwise we will go for the dual core
> higher speed.
> This will support hundreds of connections per second and some complicated queries.
> Overall the data will be less than 50gb so we are looking at more ram to hope that it will
> support both application and os level caching.
> Gary

Baron Schwartz, Director of Consulting, Percona Inc.
Our Blog:
Our Services:
INNODB and Max ProcessorsGary W. Smith30 Jan
  • Re: INNODB and Max ProcessorsBaron Schwartz30 Jan