List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:January 30 2009 3:09pm
Subject:RE: WL#946 and Changing time literal format
View as plain text
>IMO, offering a variety of input formats just creates one big mess.
>How often have you read some date notation and wondered which format was
>used - if all values are in the 1 to 12 range, you have to guess.

[JS] I agree 100%. I have to deal with dates from all over the world, and I
often have to guess at the originator's format.

Also, flexible input is a precursor to a demand for flexible output; before
long you'd have as many input formats and output formats as you have
collation options, and it would take serious research to figure out what was
going on.

>> [[...]]
>>
>> MySQL server needs a vision. Sticking to expectations of existing
>> users is looking back into (not-so) glorious past. Trying to make
>> everybody happy is infeasible. Our only option is to move forward
>> to meet expectations of our modern adopters, and they are largely
>> more intelligent, with past database experience, so the standard
>> compliance is high on their list.
>
>Being stricter on input comes with small costs but huge benefits (not
>only to us but also to end users), and we should be able to get that
>message to our users and customers.
>

>--
>Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,
>               Joerg.Bruehe@stripped   (+49 30) 417 01 487
>Sun Microsystems GmbH,   Sonnenallee 1,   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
>Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
>Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering     Muenchen: HRB161028
>

>--
>infoshop.com

Thread
Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatRoy Lyseng25 Jan
  • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatMichael Widenius30 Jan
Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatPeter Gulutzan25 Jan
Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatMichael Widenius30 Jan
  • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatKonstantin Osipov30 Jan
    • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatJoerg Bruehe30 Jan
      • RE: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatJerry Schwartz30 Jan
    • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatMichael Widenius3 Feb
      • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatKonstantin Osipov5 Feb
        • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatKonstantin Osipov5 Feb