List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Olaf Stein Date:January 30 2009 2:39pm
Subject:Re: questions about merging
View as plain text
I think he only has one DB, I guess that is a provider restriction...

On 1/30/09 8:52 AM, "Claudio Nanni" <claudio.nanni@stripped> wrote:

> Robert,
>
> keep the two databases separated,
>
> that is on different mysql database (or schema as they are also called).
>
> If the wordpress blog is on a database named 'wpblog' for example
>
> import your dump in another newly created database.
>
> Could just use those statement in the dump file
>
> CREATE DATABASE `db169254900`;
> USE db169254900;
>
> it'll create and use a new database (logic separation / phisical different
> folders)
>
> You can have all the databases you want in MySQL,
>
> they are just logical separation between tables,
>
> and with MyISAM tables also phisical separation thru folders.
>
> cheers
>
> Claudio
>

> 2009/1/29 Robert D. Crawford <rdc1x@stripped>
>
>> Hello, Olaf,
>>
>> "Stein, Olaf" <Olaf.Stein@stripped> writes:
>>
>>> the import of the dump will not remove your other tables unless there
>>> is a naming conflict, then the table will be overwritten. As far as
>>> the prefix goes you can edit the dump file, find the create table
>>> statement for each table and add the prefix. If you have lots of
>>> tables or a huge dump file it might make sense to use a more automated
>>> approach, perl or python scripts will work on most platforms. The
>>> prefix will also make sure you have no naming conflicts I guess
>>
>> I figured that would be the case but I really needed to make sure.  The
>> file is huge but judicious use of head, emacs, and cat should do the job
>> just fine without having to write something.
>>
>> One other question concerns these lines:
>>
>> CREATE DATABASE `db169254900`;
>> USE db169254900;
>>
>> I can just remove the CREATE DATABASE line and change the USE line to
>> reflect the name of the current db, right?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.  My partner will be rather happy to have her wiki
>> up.
>>
>> rdc
>> --
>> Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@stripped
>>
>> Laugh at your problems; everybody else does.
>>

>> --

----------------------------------------- Confidentiality Notice:
The following mail message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information. The recipient is responsible to
maintain the confidentiality of this information and to use the
information only for authorized purposes. If you are not the
intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any review, use,
disclosure, distribution, copying, printing, or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Thank you.
Thread
questions about merging Robert D. Crawford28 Jan
  • RE: questions about merging Olaf Stein28 Jan
  • Re: questions about mergingRobert D. Crawford29 Jan
    • Re: questions about mergingClaudio Nanni30 Jan
      • Re: questions about mergingOlaf Stein30 Jan
      • Re: questions about mergingRobert D. Crawford30 Jan
        • Re: questions about mergingWalter Heck1 Feb
      • Re: questions about mergingRobert D. Crawford1 Feb
        • Re: questions about mergingWalter Heck1 Feb
    • Re: questions about mergingSteve Holmes1 Feb