List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Claudio Nanni Date:January 30 2009 1:52pm
Subject:Re: questions about merging
View as plain text
Robert,

keep the two databases separated,

that is on different mysql database (or schema as they are also called).

If the wordpress blog is on a database named 'wpblog' for example

import your dump in another newly created database.

Could just use those statement in the dump file

CREATE DATABASE `db169254900`;
USE db169254900;

it'll create and use a new database (logic separation / phisical different
folders)

You can have all the databases you want in MySQL,

they are just logical separation between tables,

and with MyISAM tables also phisical separation thru folders.

cheers

Claudio

2009/1/29 Robert D. Crawford <rdc1x@stripped>

> Hello, Olaf,
>
> "Stein, Olaf" <Olaf.Stein@stripped> writes:
>
> > the import of the dump will not remove your other tables unless there
> > is a naming conflict, then the table will be overwritten. As far as
> > the prefix goes you can edit the dump file, find the create table
> > statement for each table and add the prefix. If you have lots of
> > tables or a huge dump file it might make sense to use a more automated
> > approach, perl or python scripts will work on most platforms. The
> > prefix will also make sure you have no naming conflicts I guess
>
> I figured that would be the case but I really needed to make sure.  The
> file is huge but judicious use of head, emacs, and cat should do the job
> just fine without having to write something.
>
> One other question concerns these lines:
>
> CREATE DATABASE `db169254900`;
> USE db169254900;
>
> I can just remove the CREATE DATABASE line and change the USE line to
> reflect the name of the current db, right?
>
> Thanks for your help.  My partner will be rather happy to have her wiki
> up.
>
> rdc
> --
> Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@stripped
>
> Laugh at your problems; everybody else does.

questions about merging Robert D. Crawford28 Jan
  • RE: questions about merging Olaf Stein28 Jan
  • Re: questions about mergingRobert D. Crawford29 Jan
    • Re: questions about mergingClaudio Nanni30 Jan
      • Re: questions about mergingOlaf Stein30 Jan
      • Re: questions about mergingRobert D. Crawford30 Jan
        • Re: questions about mergingWalter Heck1 Feb
      • Re: questions about mergingRobert D. Crawford1 Feb
        • Re: questions about mergingWalter Heck1 Feb
    • Re: questions about mergingSteve Holmes1 Feb