List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:January 30 2009 12:34pm
Subject:Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal format
View as plain text
Hi!

Konstantin Osipov wrote:
> * Michael Widenius <monty@stripped> [09/01/30 14:53]:
>
>> Its more important that we don't break things for current users than
>> try to be concerned about possible wrong usage that no one seams to do
>> or find important enough to complain about.
>
> Monty, I disagree with this statement. Our current users use the
> current versions of the server. It's a separate question of what
> support we're willing to give them and for how long.
> In the new versions we should hold high the expectations of new
> users, and they are about standard compliance, and also about ease
> of migration.

Full ack!
IMO, offering a variety of input formats just creates one big mess.
How often have you read some date notation and wondered which format was
used - if all values are in the 1 to 12 range, you have to guess.

> [[...]]
>
> MySQL server needs a vision. Sticking to expectations of existing
> users is looking back into (not-so) glorious past. Trying to make
> everybody happy is infeasible. Our only option is to move forward
> to meet expectations of our modern adopters, and they are largely
> more intelligent, with past database experience, so the standard
> compliance is high on their list.

Being stricter on input comes with small costs but huge benefits (not
only to us but also to end users), and we should be able to get that
message to our users and customers.

Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,
               Joerg.Bruehe@stripped   (+49 30) 417 01 487

Thread
Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatRoy Lyseng25 Jan
  • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatMichael Widenius30 Jan
Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatPeter Gulutzan25 Jan
Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatMichael Widenius30 Jan
  • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatKonstantin Osipov30 Jan
    • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatJoerg Bruehe30 Jan
      • RE: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatJerry Schwartz30 Jan
    • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatMichael Widenius3 Feb
      • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatKonstantin Osipov5 Feb
        • Re: WL#946 and Changing time literal formatKonstantin Osipov5 Feb