List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:lance raymond Date:January 29 2009 9:38pm
Subject:mysql 5 new install help requested
View as plain text
Man, the forums are good, but lists are just so much easier!  Anyway, I left
post unanswered now and I need to get this problem solved, so I am hoping
this list is more direct.

Basically a fc5/mysql4 server is having hard drive errors.  We had a
slightly newer/faster server, so I staged it with centOS5, mysql5.  The
server is expanentially slower, and I am trying to see if there is anything
db wise I can look / tweak.  Basically the mysql 4 server looks to have
numerous threads running see the ps snapshot;

25243 ? S 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/var/lib/mysql
--pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/classic.pid
25274 ? S 0:25 \_ [mysqld]
25275 ? S 0:37 \_ [mysqld]
25276 ? S 0:00 \_ [mysqld]
25277 ? S 0:00 \_ [mysqld]
25278 ? S 0:00 \_ [mysqld]
25279 ? S 0:00 \_ [mysqld]
25280 ? S 0:00 \_ [mysqld]
25281 ? S 0:03 \_ [mysqld]
25282 ? S 0:00 \_ [mysqld]
25283 ? S 0:15 \_ [mysqld]

The mysql 5 shows the following running;
root 10245 0.0 0.0 4472 1092 pts/0 S 23:13 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe
--defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
--log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
mysql 10281 5.8 1.1 141544 24028 pts/0 Sl 23:13 0:19 /usr/libexec/mysqld
--defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql
--user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
*--skip-locking*--socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

I first tried to start it by hand with the slow-log options, but never saw a
file.  Then tried in the my.cnf file and still nothing and also noticed the
skip-locking option running where I don't see it in the startup.

So all the above comes down to this question(s).  Should mysql5 with a
generic rpm install run this slow compared to mysql 4.  A query that takes
24 seconds is taking more than 5 minutes and I am wondering if it's a thread
issue, etc. as this is a live webserver with hundreds on in/out connections.

Thanks on getting me started on this one

Thread
mysql 5 new install help requestedlance raymond29 Jan
  • Re: mysql 5 new install help requestedBaron Schwartz30 Jan