List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:January 29 2009 9:09pm
Subject:Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?
View as plain text

> Are date columns stored as String or Integer in a MyISAM table?
>
> I am trying to squeeze more speed from my application and a date column is
> used in most of the indexes for my tables. I'm wondering if changing the
> Date data type to an Integer is going to speed the queries up. I'm using
> Delphi and internally it represents dates as float so using integers will
> speed up the Delphi code. But the main slow down I have is with executing
> the queries. The dates are used in the indexes, sorting, and in a few
> table joins. So is there a speed advantage of switching the dates to
> integer?

Don't do it! Save yourself the hassle and let MySQL store
the dates for you in whatever format it likes. You can use
indices to speed up your lookups.

When doing a comparison against a value, MySQL probably
encodes the written value to it's own internal format, so you
lost your "speed" there anyway...

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions

FREE version of Database Workbench Lite for MySQL!
http://www.upscene.com

Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?mos28 Jan
  • Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?Michael Dykman28 Jan
    • Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?mos28 Jan
      • Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?Michael Dykman28 Jan
  • Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?Paul DuBois28 Jan
  • Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?Martijn Tonies29 Jan