List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:January 28 2009 5:31am
Subject:Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?
View as plain text
Are date columns stored as String or Integer in a MyISAM table?

I am trying to squeeze more speed from my application and a date column is
used in most of the indexes for my tables. I'm wondering if changing the
Date data type to an Integer is going to speed the queries up. I'm using
Delphi and internally it represents dates as float so using integers will
speed up the Delphi code. But the main slow down I have is with executing
the queries. The dates are used in the indexes, sorting, and in a few table
joins. So is there a speed advantage of switching the dates to integer?

TIA

Mike

Thread
Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?mos28 Jan
  • Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?Michael Dykman28 Jan
    • Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?mos28 Jan
      • Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?Michael Dykman28 Jan
  • Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?Paul DuBois28 Jan
  • Re: Are dates stored as String? Or Integer?Martijn Tonies29 Jan