List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Claudio Nanni Date:January 24 2009 12:57am
Subject:Re: How do you backup HUGE tables?
View as plain text
I would also suggest to use the innodb storage option
'innodb-file-per-table=ON'
so that at least the datafile is split to have as many (smaller)
datafiles as innodb tables.
This could make it easier to deal with the whole database.

Cheers
Claudio

Baron Schwartz wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Daevid Vincent <daevid@stripped> wrote:
>
>> We have some INNODB tables that are over 500,000,000 rows. These
>> obviously make for some mighty big file sizes:
>>
>> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 73,872,179,200 2009-01-22 02:31 ibdata1
>>

> Daevid, we have started working on an incremental/differential InnoDB
> backup tool.  It is in need of a sponsor though.
>
> I'm betting that you don't change all 70GB of that table every day,
> and you'd appreciate being able to keep differentials and only do full
> backups every so often.
>
> For big datasets like this, dump is impossible or too expensive at
> some point.  There are a lot of ways you could do this, but I'd
> recommend filesystem snapshots and binary copies.  Unless you like
> long dumps and long restores...
>
> There might also be some higher-level strategies like archiving and
> purging or aggregation that would benefit you.  These are the kinds of
> things I see pretty often and help people select good strategies, but
> it requires a lot of knowledge of your application to give good
> advice.

Thread
How do you backup HUGE tables?Daevid Vincent23 Jan
  • Re: How do you backup HUGE tables?Baron Schwartz23 Jan
    • Re: How do you backup HUGE tables?Claudio Nanni24 Jan
  • Re: How do you backup HUGE tables?Jim Lyons24 Jan
  • Re: How do you backup HUGE tables?Aaron Blew24 Jan
Re: How do you backup HUGE tables?ceo24 Jan