List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:January 22 2009 3:40pm
Subject:Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?
View as plain text
At 01:08 PM 1/20/2009, you wrote:
>While specing out a new server, I was wondering if there is any limit to
>how much memory can be allocated to mysql 5.1.  If a server has 16GB of
>ram, can mysql take advantage of that much ram (minus a reserved amount
>for the OS obviously)?  Is there any limit such as those imposed by 32-bit
>processors?
>
>Thanks!

You can get an external ram drive fairly cheap that will handle 32gb per
drive (4gb sticks) and can use raid 0 to give you larger drives. They cost
around $500 for the hardware not including the RAM. On page 9 of the report
http://techreport.com/articles.x/16255/9 they show database and web server
performance that blows away all hard drives by a factor of 10x. They have a
small battery backup that will preserve the contents between reboots and
for a few hours during power loss. An option allows you to back up the
contents to flash storage. Of course you should use a UPS on it. What
appeals to me is you can use it 24/7 and it is not going to wear out. This
is definitely going on my wish list. :-)

http://techreport.com/articles.x/16255/1

Mike

Thread
How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?webtek2001-mysql20 Jan
  • Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?Jake Maul22 Jan
    • Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?bmurphy22 Jan
    • Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?Luis Motta Campos5 Feb
  • Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?mos22 Jan
    • Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?Aaron Blew22 Jan
Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?mos22 Jan