List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jake Maul Date:January 22 2009 1:58am
Subject:Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?
View as plain text
Didn't want this to go unanswered, although I don't have any great info for you.

As long as you're running a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit version of MySQL,
there's no technical reason it would be limited to less than the
addressable space (that I know of). The main gain would be the ability
to set larger buffers and handle more connections simultaneously. Of
course, this is assuming your queries and schema are good and you
don't suffer from excessive locking problems.

That is to say... yes, it'll work, and yes, as far as I know MySQL
will be able to allocate as much RAM as you can stuff in the box.
Whether it can use it *effectively* is something I don't have any
experience with beyond ~8GB. I suspect it would work just fine,
though.

Jake

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:08 PM,  <webtek2001-mysql@stripped> wrote:
> While specing out a new server, I was wondering if there is any limit to how much
> memory can be allocated to mysql 5.1.  If a server has 16GB of ram, can mysql take
> advantage of that much ram (minus a reserved amount for the OS obviously)?  Is there any
> limit such as those imposed by 32-bit processors?
>
> Thanks!
>

> http://www.retailretreat.com
Thread
How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?webtek2001-mysql20 Jan
  • Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?Jake Maul22 Jan
    • Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?bmurphy22 Jan
    • Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?Luis Motta Campos5 Feb
  • Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?mos22 Jan
    • Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?Aaron Blew22 Jan
Re: How much memory can mysql 5.1 take advantage of?mos22 Jan