List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:ewen fortune Date:January 14 2009 10:20pm
Subject:Re: Restarting MySQLD when all transactions are complete
View as plain text
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM, John Daisley
<john.daisley@stripped> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Probably a simple question for someone who knows :)
>
> Is there a way to force MySQLD to restart after it has finished processing
> all current transactions?
>
> I seem to remember from the bit of Oracle work I did in the past we could
> do a Transactional Restart in Oracle 10g which caused the server to stop
> accepting new requests and restart when it has processed all current
> transactions. I now need to do a similar thing with MySQL 5.0, is this
> possible?

Right, under Oracle you can do SHUTDOWN TRANSACTIONAL
There is no such command available with MySQL but you can do the
basically the same thing.

Reduce the max_connections variable to 1, this will prevent any new
non-super connections.
Optionally set the server to read_only to prevent any existing
non-super connections from initiating new updates.
View the processlist, once all the transactions have completed you can
kill the connections and issue a shutdown.

> It would also be handy if I could get it to do this 'transactional
> retstart' and when it comes back up force the slave to do the same, but
> we'll get one working first! Its needed so we can apply updates etc to the
> box without disrupting database access.

Its not exactly what oracle is doing, but at least you can control access.

Cheers,

Ewen