List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:January 13 2009 11:19pm
Subject:Re: Why does changing a table property rebuild the table?
View as plain text
At 09:17 PM 1/12/2009, you wrote:
> >> Why would delay_key_writes require a table rebuild? It's not
> >> modifying the data. Reloading tens of millions of rows for several
> >> hours seems to be a waste of time.
>
>It probably flips a bit in the .frm file or something like that, but I
>have not investigated it myself.
>
>My guess is that you can "hack" this to do what you want.  We wrote
>about this in our book -- you can alter ENUM lists without a table
>rebuild, for example.  I'm betting you can do the same thing here.
>Rather than describe the whole thing let me show you the blog post
>Aurimas wrote about it:
>
>http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2007/10/29/hacking-to-make-alter-table-online-for-certain-changes/
>
>Baron

Baron,
      Yes, that worked. Thanks. :)

It saves me about 4 hours per table and I had 6 tables to do. So I was done
in 5 minutes instead of 24 hours.

Mike

Thread
Why does changing a table property rebuild the table?mos12 Jan
  • Re: Why does changing a table property rebuild the table?Dan Nelson12 Jan
    • Re: Why does changing a table property rebuild the table?mos12 Jan
      • Re: Why does changing a table property rebuild the table?Dan Nelson12 Jan
        • Re: Why does changing a table property rebuild the table?Baron Schwartz13 Jan
          • Re: Why does changing a table property rebuild the table?mos14 Jan