List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:PJ Date:December 29 2008 2:17pm
Subject:how to design book db
View as plain text
I am rather fresh to MySQL and am trying to fix and update a website -
modifying from just plain html to css, php and MySQL. I'm working on
FreeBSD 7.0, MySQL 5.1,30, PHP5.28 & Apache 2.2.11.
I need figure out how to set up (design) a database of books which gets
rather complicated since I must implement searches of the database based
on key words including categories, ISBN numbers, authors, dates, etc. etc.
The problem is how to deal with duplication of the data - In other
words, a book may have not only several authors, but also several ISBN
numbers, fall under several categories, different dates (year of
publication), several publishers & I probably haven't yet seen all of
the variables.
I certainly do not want to enter the same book many times with just one
of each different variable. I suppose that one way to do it is to enter
one row with a lot of columns to store all the the different variables;
a search would probably be simpler this way if the search criteria are
limited to 1 word. Or would it? I rather do think that the search should
be limited to 1 word anyway. :-)
If the search would be for a category, for instance, would it make sense
to use a column for category with an input of keywords for the different
categories?; rather than a column for each category or another table of
categories?
Multiple publication years could probably be different row entries since
there would not be more than 2 or would be a different publisher,
language, or country.
I really with to K.I.S.S this undertaking and would appreciate any help
or suggestions.
If it helps, you can see the site as it is at present
http://www.ptahhotep.com - but since it is rather messed up at the
moment, it is best viewed with IE. Some of the links and jscripts don't
work on FireFox.
TIA,
PJ
Thread
how to design book dbPJ29 Dec
  • Re: how to design book dbmos29 Dec
    • Re: how to design book dbPJ6 Jan
      • RE: how to design book dbbruce6 Jan
        • RE: how to design book dbPaul Wilson6 Jan
          • RE: how to design book dbbruce6 Jan
      • Re: how to design book dbmos6 Jan
RE: how to design book dbceo6 Jan
  • RE: how to design book dbJerry Schwartz6 Jan
    • RE: how to design book dbWm Mussatto6 Jan