List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Giragosian Date:December 5 2008 5:18pm
Subject:Re: Trying to Create a Trigger
View as plain text
On 12/5/08, Lola J. Lee Beno <lola@stripped> wrote:

> I'm trying to create a trigger (5.0.45) and I've read the documentation at
> mysql.com.  I keep getting a syntax error, but can't figure out what the
> error is.  Here's the trigger I'm trying to create:
>
> delimiter //
> create trigger jobposts_control
>  before delete on jobposts for each row
> begin
>   declare dummy varchar(255);
>   set @counted = (
>       select count(ad.adsource_id)
>       from adsource ad, jobposts jp
>       where ad.adsource_id = jp.adsource_id
>       and old.jobpost_id = jp.jobpost_id
>   );
>   if @counted >= 1 then SET dummy = "Cannot delete this record" end if;
> end //
> delimiter ;
>
> When I run the set query without the "and old.jobpost_id" line, it runs
> correctly.  So the syntax problem is elsewhere, but where?

I'm no expert, but 'old' is a table, I'm guessing, and it isn't referenced
in the 'from' clause of the query.

could it be that simple...?

David

Thread
Trying to Create a TriggerLola J. Lee Beno5 Dec
  • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerDavid Giragosian5 Dec
    • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerLola J. Lee Beno5 Dec
      • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerJim Lyons5 Dec
        • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerLola J. Lee Beno5 Dec
  • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerMartijn Tonies5 Dec
    • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerLola J. Lee Beno5 Dec
  • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerMartijn Tonies5 Dec
    • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerLola J. Lee Beno5 Dec
      • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerAndy Shellam5 Dec
        • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerLola J. Lee Beno5 Dec
          • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerPeter Brawley5 Dec
  • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerMartijn Tonies5 Dec
    • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerWm Mussatto5 Dec
      • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerAndy Shellam6 Dec
  • Re: Trying to Create a TriggerMartijn Tonies6 Dec