List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andrej Kastrin Date:December 1 2008 4:30pm
Subject:Intersect question
View as plain text
I have the table 'test' which includes two columns: 'study' and 'symbol':

study symbol
a2008 A
a2008 B
a2008 C
a2008 D
b2005 A
b2005 B
b2005 E

The task is to perform an intersection on 'name' column according to all
distinct values in 'study' column. During the experiments the
intersection was done 'manually' using the query:

SELECT a.symbol FROM test as a, test as b WHERE a.symbol=b.symbol and
a.study="a2008" and b.study="b2005";

So the result of the query above is (A, B).

The question is how to implement this query more automatically, without
directly referencing to the study names, because I want to implement it
into a php script.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Best, Andrej
Thread
Intersect questionAndrej Kastrin1 Dec
  • Re: Intersect questionMicah Stevens1 Dec
    • MySQl and LVMShain Miley1 Dec
      • Re: MySQl and LVMSimon J Mudd2 Dec
        • Re: MySQl and LVMShain Miley2 Dec
    • RE: Intersect questionRolando Edwards1 Dec
  • Re: Intersect questionMicah Stevens1 Dec
  • Re: Intersect questionPeter Brawley1 Dec