List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brian Timmins Date:April 21 1999 6:50am
Subject:Re: NT vs Linux
View as plain text
Hi Sean

I am a new-comer to MySQL but I've been a database analyst/designer/dba for
18 years on Oracle, Informix and latterly (10 years) Sybase.

I have two identical 2-processor pentium boxes, 128 Meg, 4Gig SCSI, both
running Sybase 11033, one with NT4 and the other Linux5.  Both are optimised
by experts (in the case of NT, NOT me :-)) to run Sybase only.

In purely memory intensive/mathematical operations the Linux box is 82%
faster, and in disk i/o intensive operations the Linux box is 141% faster.

I would be astonished if the same were not true about MySQL!

Draw your own conclusions ;-)

Regards, Brian
Work:    btimmins@stripped
Home:   brian@stripped