List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Edberg Date:November 22 2008 5:12pm
Subject:Re: Table encryption
View as plain text
At 2:41 PM -0800 11/21/08, Zakai Kinan wrote:
>I searched google and the archives of this list, but I am not
>cleared about the support of table encryption in mysql.  Can someone
>clarify for me?
>
>thanks,

Well, as far as I know, there isn't any built-in full table
encryption implemented or in the works [1]. However, you could use
MySQL's encryption functions [2] to encrypt selected columns (you
could even do that automatically via triggers or stored procedures).

If you wanted fully transparent encryption, you could use an
encrypted volume, for example via Truecrypt [3] or the upcoming
ZFS+crypto [4] to store your tables. To minimize the performance
impact, you should keep your index files on a non-encrypted volume if
possible.

	steve

[1]
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/roadmap.html
Also couldn't find anything on the mysql-internals list
(http://marc.info/?l=mysql-internals)

[2]
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/encryption-functions.html

[3]