List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:November 21 2008 12:10pm
Subject:Re: Virtualizing MySQL
View as plain text
Jay,

that is interesting:

Jay Blanchard wrote:
> [snip]
> Virtualization includes overhead.
> It is fine as long as your application can tolerate that, but if your
> performance demands grow there will be a point where a DB server in a
> virtual machine will cause trouble but the same HW as a "real" machine
> would still suffice.
> [/snip]
>
> We run MySQL in virtualized environments processing millions of records
> a day (virtual servers interact with our SAN for storage) and have

If your hardware is powerful enough, that should be possible. No doubts.

> actually enjoyed performance increases. We are also able to take

"increases": Would you care to detail your comparison base?
If you got increases on the same hardware, that's really surprising, and
I am sure many readers would like to learn more about that.

> advantage of advanced disaster recovery/business continuity options
> available to us in this kind of environment.

Sure. I am convinced that virtualization gives you several management
options, including migration and backup, which separate real machines
don't offer so easily.

Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,
               Joerg.Bruehe@stripped

Thread
Using Replication in mySQL version 5Tompkins Neil17 Nov
  • RE: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Mary Bahrami19 Nov
  • Re: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Jim Lyons19 Nov
    • Virtualizing MySQLShain Miley19 Nov
      • Re: Virtualizing MySQLSimon J Mudd20 Nov
        • Re: Virtualizing MySQLShain Miley20 Nov
          • Re: Virtualizing MySQLKeith Murphy20 Nov
          • Re: Virtualizing MySQLJoerg Bruehe20 Nov
            • RE: Virtualizing MySQLJay Blanchard20 Nov
              • (Q) FullText (UTF8)Timothy Little20 Nov
                • Re: (Q) FullText (UTF8)Santino20 Nov
              • Re: Virtualizing MySQLJoerg Bruehe21 Nov
          • Re: Virtualizing MySQLClaudio Nanni20 Nov
            • Re: Virtualizing MySQLMoon's Father21 Nov
  • Re: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Jed Reynolds20 Nov
Re: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Roman Eberle19 Nov