List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Timothy Little Date:November 20 2008 9:30pm
Subject:(Q) FullText (UTF8)
View as plain text
We are using MySQL 5.0.22 on CENTOS/redhat linux.  The table and database character-sets
are all utf8.

We have a database supporting numerous languages.  Of course, full-text works beautifully
with most of the languages.

But Chinese and Japanese are giving us problems, and there is NO reason why it should be a
problem since we are taking measures to help the database see word-breaks.

When we insert the Chinese and Japanese passages, they have spaces (normal ASCII $14-#32)
between each word (verified).  So basically if you have two words like {APPLE}{DRUM} then
we put {APPLE} then space then {DRUM}.  If you have UTF-8 then you can look at this
sample, 三坐标测量机 固定架

When we try to match either {APPLE} or {DRUM} individually (or technically
三坐标测量机  or  固定架   ) then MySQL fails to find a match against anything.
But clearly it should find those.

MySQL is only finding matches for Japanese and Chinese on exact full-string matches, which
is clearly less than ideal.

I have already changed the ft min length setting to 1, to no avail.

What is going wrong, and how do I fix this?

Here is my sample query (selecting for ONE word
select *
from category_attributes
where match ( value ) against ( '三坐标测量机'  ) > 0

When I replace the word with固定架  then it still doesn't match anything.  And there is
a row with merely
三坐标测量机 space固定架

Tim...
Thread
Using Replication in mySQL version 5Tompkins Neil17 Nov
  • RE: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Mary Bahrami19 Nov
  • Re: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Jim Lyons19 Nov
    • Virtualizing MySQLShain Miley19 Nov
      • Re: Virtualizing MySQLSimon J Mudd20 Nov
        • Re: Virtualizing MySQLShain Miley20 Nov
          • Re: Virtualizing MySQLKeith Murphy20 Nov
          • Re: Virtualizing MySQLJoerg Bruehe20 Nov
            • RE: Virtualizing MySQLJay Blanchard20 Nov
              • (Q) FullText (UTF8)Timothy Little20 Nov
                • Re: (Q) FullText (UTF8)Santino20 Nov
              • Re: Virtualizing MySQLJoerg Bruehe21 Nov
          • Re: Virtualizing MySQLClaudio Nanni20 Nov
            • Re: Virtualizing MySQLMoon's Father21 Nov
  • Re: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Jed Reynolds20 Nov
Re: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Roman Eberle19 Nov