List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shain Miley Date:November 19 2008 9:32pm
Subject:Virtualizing MySQL
View as plain text
I am looking into the idea of setting up 10 - 15 virtualized instances
of MySQL.  The reason for this is as follows...we are going to be
setting up a 3 to 4 node MySQL replication cluster (1 master-rw and 2
slaves-ro)...each having 16 to 32 GB of RAM.

In order for our development team to do their work...they must have
access to some Mysql resources that are close to the production
environment.  I am not currently in a position to provide each developer
two MySQL servers (one master and one slave with 16 to 32 GB of RAM) for
testing...or obvious reasons...mainly cost ;-)

So I have been thinking about how best to provide such resources,  at
this  point I am thinking that I can use OpenVZ to help me out a bit.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this issue...should I just
run 10 instances of MySQL on the same server...are there other options?

I am concerned with trying to ensure that the metrics, resources,
workloads, etc from these development servers has some sort of relevance
to our production environment...otherwise we are testing apples and
oranges...which the dev team will clearly point out...and in a way I
know we are...but I would like to minimize the effects....

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Shain

Thread
Using Replication in mySQL version 5Tompkins Neil17 Nov
  • RE: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Mary Bahrami19 Nov
  • Re: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Jim Lyons19 Nov
    • Virtualizing MySQLShain Miley19 Nov
      • Re: Virtualizing MySQLSimon J Mudd20 Nov
        • Re: Virtualizing MySQLShain Miley20 Nov
          • Re: Virtualizing MySQLKeith Murphy20 Nov
          • Re: Virtualizing MySQLJoerg Bruehe20 Nov
            • RE: Virtualizing MySQLJay Blanchard20 Nov
              • (Q) FullText (UTF8)Timothy Little20 Nov
                • Re: (Q) FullText (UTF8)Santino20 Nov
              • Re: Virtualizing MySQLJoerg Bruehe21 Nov
          • Re: Virtualizing MySQLClaudio Nanni20 Nov
            • Re: Virtualizing MySQLMoon's Father21 Nov
  • Re: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Jed Reynolds20 Nov
Re: Using Replication in mySQL version 5Roman Eberle19 Nov