List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jimmy Soho Date:November 19 2008 12:49am
Subject:Fatal error: Illegal or unknown default time zone 'UTC'
View as plain text
Hi All,

Someone posted this on this list just a few days ago:

Incorrect value for default-time-zone <http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/215197>

And I am now suddenly getting exactly the same issue. Nothing really changed
in the mysql department, I did install the latest OS X updates, and needed
to restart my system. After the restart of my os, mysqld didn't restart.

My log shows endless entries such as :

081119 11:30:00  mysqld started
081119 11:30:00 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file
system for /usr/local/mysql/var/ is case insensitive
081119 11:30:00  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 3703190066
081119 11:30:00 [ERROR] Fatal error: Illegal or unknown default time zone
'UTC'
081119 11:30:00  mysqld ended

The only way to get mysqld starting again was to edit /etc/my.cnf, and
comment out this line:

#default-time-zone = UTC

I also tried using different values for detault-time-zone by the way, but it
gave a fatal error for each.

Anyone know what's going on here? UTC clearly is a legal and known default
time zone. I'd like to enable that option in my my.cnf file again. Anyone
know what to do about this?

Best regards,
Jimmy

Thread
Fatal error: Illegal or unknown default time zone 'UTC'Jimmy Soho19 Nov