List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jujitsu Lizard Date:November 15 2008 8:45pm
Subject:Re: normalised designs: customer database
View as plain text
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 3:54 AM, metastable <listpit@stripped
> wrote:

> I may just have had an insight over my morning coffee.
> How about turning things around and adding a FK -to the customers table-
> on each of the customer type tables (companies, people, charities, etc) ?
>
> The customers table would have no idea if a customer is corporate or
> private, it just has a customer number that can be used in processing
> invoices and performing account maintenance.
> The companies, people, charities, etc. tables would each have a FK to
> the customers table.
>
> This  does off course mean that creating and sorting  a list of all
> customers is more complex, but the database would at least be normalised.
> What do you think ?

I think you just made my point.

You now recognize that designing it "right" introduces other complexities.

With the problem you presented, it is just a matter of where you want to get
tasered.  There isn't a solution that optimizes all parameters.

Thread
normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMark Goodge14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMr. Shawn H. Corey14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
  • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseJerry Schwartz14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
    • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseUS Data Export14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasePeter Brawley14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard14 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable14 Nov
    • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable15 Nov
      • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseJujitsu Lizard15 Nov
        • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable16 Nov
          • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseJerry Schwartz17 Nov
            • Re: normalised designs: customer databasemetastable17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseBill newton14 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov
    • RE: normalised designs: customer databaseUS Data Export17 Nov
  • Re: normalised designs: customer databaseMartijn Tonies17 Nov